Thursday, January 24, 2013

Coconut Bark Dulces

I have had the wonderful pleasure of having my family over during the holidays this past year. It was a different year this year for me because I am so used to having tons of food cooked...but for some reason all I bought was a ham and the ingredients for two different sides. Pretty simplistic this year. The weather played a big part in it and well who am I kidding...Who's got those kind of splurging finances anymore to dump into the holidays like the old days ;0)

Anyhow what I did do was try making something sweet. Now anyone who knows me well knows that I don't (can't) bake. It's is a science I find too complicating...(coming from a girl who used to find making flour tortillas easier than corn...and still smashes her frijoles with the bottom of a child's size cup!).

While watching one of my favorite chefs: Marcela Valladolid.
I have to admit my slight addiction to all of her amazing ways to innovate the recipes our abuelitas, tias, madres, y amigas have shared throughout years, even decades! Everything is always fresh and easy...really. easy!

So anyway I saw her make this simple candy and I thought..."C'mon! I can't possibly screw this up...".
So easy and well...EASY!

So here is the link of Chef Valladolid's recipe for exact measurements I did as she said and experimented...well, played around with food coloring :-)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marcela-valladolid/quick-and-easy-coconut-bark-cocada-recipe/index.html

All you will need is:

1 Bag of Shreaded Coconut Flakes
1 Can of Condensed Milk
1 Baking Dish
Cooking Spray
and your oven preheated at 350F
Food Color (optional)

So if you have ever walked into a Mexican Supermercado (supermarket) or even your local grocery store there is always an isle or two of either mexican spices and candies or condiments, and common items. So this little candy may look like something familiar:


It is delicious! Well, you will have fun with this real simple and non-complex way to make a scrumptious candy! I did two different batches. One with just the ingredients, another I played with the ingredients and added food coloring to imitate the candy pictured above. Here we go!

First lets empty your coconut flakes in a bowl and pour your one can of condensed milk in like so:



Once this is done all you want to do is mix up this mixture and place in a baking dish.



Or do as I did and devide up some of the mixture in seperate bowls and play with a few drops of food coloring (6-8 drops for pungent color). pictured below:



add desired colors:


Once this is complete you can place in your baking dish and arrange as you please:


The baking dish should have either a thin layer of butter to prevent any sticking or some non-stick cooking spray. We will bake at 350 degrees for approx.25-30 min. until you see a slight browning at the top. Let cool and cut up and enjoy....(or wrap tablespoonful size pieces, wrapped in wax paper)

Hmm Que Rrrico!





6 comments:

  1. me parece bueno!
    visite mi blog tambien!!!
    saludos desde Brasil!
    www.garotabella.com.ec/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Ana Rosa. I tried to check out your blog but the link you posted doesnt work. :(

      Delete
  2. Hi I'm John from Fooduel.com. It is a site in which users vote recipes
    from 1 to 10.

    There is a ranking of the best recipes and a profile with your recipes ordered. Each recipe has a link to the blog that belongs recipe. This way you will get traffic to your blog

    It's easy and fun. The best Photo recipes will be stay here

    I invite you to enter add your blog and upload a recipe with a nice photo.

    That's it. Regards friend

    http://www.Fooduel.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definately check it out. Thank you John!

      Delete
  3. Yum, looks so good. Glad you had a great time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacy. It was quite easy, and it was fun!

      Delete